Rachel O'Neill on trailblazing book trailers


From the New Zealand Book Council Newsletter


I viewed my first ever book trailer on YouTube in 2009. It was the two-and-a-half-minute video trailer promoting the genre mash-up, Sense and Sensibility and Sea Monsters by Ben H. Winters, co-authored with Jane Austin.
At the time, I remember having reservations about book trailers. They seemed to be the opposite of what reading was all about, namely using one's imagination to evoke characters and their various worlds. Nonetheless, I enjoyed the tongue-in-cheek trailer for Winters' book in which a very convincing tentacle, belonging to a fierce lake-dwelling serpent, drags the male love interest, Sir John Middleton, into deep and murky water. Let’s just say his female companion reaches for his hand, finds it in the water, draws it out, and discovers that it’s not strictly attached anymore.
I have since warmed to book trailers and keep my eyes peeled for those about New Zealand new releases. Highlights for me include two beautiful book trailers by Huia Publishers, who celebrate 21 years in business this June. The most recent of these is a book trailer for the new release Ngarimu Te Tohu Toa/Victory at Point 209, illustrated by Andrew Burdan. The graphic novel focuses on Second Lieutenant Te Moana-nui-a-Kiwa Ngarimu of 28th Maori Battalion who won the VC during World War Two.
 Like many of the best book trailers I’ve seen, Ngarimu Te Tohu Toa/Victory at Point 209 uses illustration and animation to provide a movie-like introduction to the book. You get a quick but informative sense of the story, characters, tone and narrative style.
Inspired by Andrew Burdan’s excellent trailer, I thought I’d draw together a selection from various publishers' YouTube channels that I’ve enjoyed watching. Click through to our blog Open Book and watch the selection of trailers

Blogroll