I is for Incredible Musicians

3+3, My fave Isley Album
I is for incredible musicians that start with I, for the A to Z challenge. 

The Isley Brothers is still one of my all-time favorite bands. I love their combination of soul and funk-rock. Ernie Isley, the youngest brother was only 11 years-old when Jimi Hendrix began playing as a tour guitarist for the Iselys. Jimi was a huge influence on the young Ernie, who grew up to play a wicked rock guitar himself that rivals that of Hendrix.

Ernie Isley
Charles Ives (1874-1954) was an experimental musician, and a true American maverick. In 1902, he "quit" traditional music as an organist to embrace experimental music such as the piece Central Park in the Dark, and a sort of "cosmic landscape" of The unanswered Question. In 1915, he composed the Universe Symphony, which he described as "aspiring to paint the creation, the mysterious beginnings of all things."

Which musicians do you think are incredible? True mavericks?

Blogroll