Novelist Judy Blume published a long post today about her recent battle with breast cancer.
“Medical diagnoses can leave you feeling alone and scared,” wrote Blume, telling her story to help other women through the tough experience. In an honest and heartfelt diary, the author of Are You There God? It’s Me, Margaret and Tiger Eyes told the story of her diagnosis and treatment. Here is an excerpt:
I have to thank Dr. S, the radiologist who’s been doing my mammograms for 20 years. If she hadn’t decided I should have a sonogram because of dense breast tissue we still wouldn’t know. This didn’t show up in a mammo or in physical exams, and I’m checked by doctors four times a year. Even the breast surgeon couldn’t feel this one. If you have dense breast tissue ask your radiologist about having a sonogram … As I’ve told my friends who’ve also been treated for breast cancer, I’ve joined The Club – not one I wanted to join or even thought I would ever be joining – but here I am. I’m part of this Sisterhood of the Traveling Breast Cells (apologies to Ann Brashares). Medical diagnoses can leave you feeling alone and scared. When it comes to breast cancer you’re not alone, and scary though it is, there’s a network of amazing women to help you through it. (Via Carolyn Kellogg)